This is part two of the Our Favorite Book series here on Mama Notes. Last week I showed you some of our favorite books that have animals in them. With Thanksgiving being three weeks away, I thought it would be fun to look at Thanksgiving related books. This will give you enough time to check out a few from your local library or buy some as gifts before visiting the relatives.
I think holiday books are fun, relevant and can really be used as an educational teaching guide. Often times young children don’t really understand what a holiday is or the meaning or purpose behind it. By reading holiday books, you can introduce it to them in a way they might be able to understand. Use the pictures and words as a starting point for questions and discussions.
Here are a few Thanksgiving books I think your family might enjoy.
1. P is for Pilgrim A Thanksgiving Alphabet by Carol Crane :: This book is geared more towards older children, ages 5+. However, I really think it’s a book the entire family can read and enjoy. It helps with letter recognition for the little ones, and provides great facts and educational points for older kids.
2. A Plump and Perky Turkey by Teresa Bateman
3. Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks by Margaret Sutherland, Sonja Lamut
4. My First Thanksgiving by Tomie dePola :: A simple and fun book for babies and toddlers.
5. Five Silly Turkeys by Salina Yoon :: A fun book with great pictures and rhymes. Great for babies!
6. The Berenstain Bears Give Thanks by Michael & Jan Berenstain :: I don’t know why, but I just love the Berenstain Bears books. I used to read these books as a kid. In fact, I still have them all!
7. Pilgrams of Plymouth by Susan E. Goodman :: This picture books shows kids how other kids used to live “back in the day.”
8. Giving Thanks: A Native American Good Morning Message by Jake Swamp
9. Thanks for Thanksgiving by Julie Markers
10. A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving by Charles M. Schultz :: It’s Charlie Brown. What else matters?
11. Let’s Celebrate God’s Blessing on Thanksgiving by Lise Caldwell :: With bible verses, this is a wonderful book for bringing your Faith into Thanksgiving.
12. 10 Fat Turkeys by Tony Johnston :: This is a ridiculously silly book, counting down 10 fat turkeys.
There are so many great books. I could go on and on. These were just a few- I hope your family likes them! Do you have any favorite Thanksgiving books? Please share!