I’m not a fan of traveling, especially with young children. I know many of us travel with our babies for one reason or the other. With the holidays being right around the corner, it’s going to be another busy time for traveling. I too, will be traveling again with Lucas. I have travelled with him twice before- once when he was 7 months and the other just a few weeks ago when he was 8 months. Both were on a plane and neither were fun.
I wrote once about my experience traveling (by car) when Lucas was about 3 months old. The plane is another issue in itself, as is having an older, active baby. Here are my experiences and what has worked for me!
His car seat is interesting.
Sitting on his sippy cup is awesome.
On the plane I brought an assortment of books and toys. Honestly, I probably could have done without these things. He was more interested in the people around him, the magazines in front of him and the germ infested airpot “things.”
- Diapers- a lot of them– I brought more than I needed
- 3 or 4 plastic toys- he prefers water bottles and shoes actually
- Two board books- books are good
- A floor blanket- glad I had this.
- A warm nursing/cuddling blanket– glad I had this too for nursing especially
- A change of clothes – Never travel anywhere. Ever. Without a change of clothes. Rule #1.
- A banana and finger foods-It was nice to have a snack for him
- Sippy cup with water- He’s a water machine I tell ya.
- Pacifiers– what would I do without these?!
This is obviously going to depend on the age of your child. For Lucas, he is eating roughly 2-3 small meals a day. The food for us is more about giving him something to do for a while. I brought a tupperware with pieces of cheese, green beans and meat. This kept him occupied for about 15 minutes or so while he fed himself. I also gave him an organic teething biscuit to suck on for a while.
What are your traveling tips? Are you traveling over the holidays with your kids? What are you packing? How long is your plane ride? Let’s learn from each other!