As if you can’t tell from the title of this post (I know I seriously lack creativity in post titles, thanks for still reading regardless) my little Joshua is 6 weeks old today! Little might not be too accurate… he’s almost 12 pounds! I can’t believe it.
…. In conclusion, he is a much harder baby than Lucas was. It’s a good thing Lucas was our first baby. Ha!
He doesn’t like to sleep unless someone is holding him. Just when you think he is sound asleep and he’ll for sure stay asleep for a while so you can take a nap or get something done, you set him down and I kid you not, four minutes later he wakes up. He spends his days in arms or in a carrier, it’s the only way he’s happy.
Evenings are usually miserable. He has some good days, but most are just awful. He has been screaming on and off since 5:00pm. It’s 10:00 now and after basically crying himself to exhaustion he is asleep on my chest. Dare I move the slightest muscle he might wake up. I might just very well stay here tonight.
We don’t think it’s colic as it’s usually just burst of crying, not hours of non stop. It could be some acid reflux, gas or jus that six week fussy stage… that’s been lasting since he was born pretty much. I’m going to cut dairy out of my diet and see if that helps.
Let’s see mama doc’s…. here are some things:
– He doesn’t spit up at all
– I burp him after he eats. It usually takes several minutes of patting his back before he will burp.
– He will be fine one minute and in a screaming fit the next.
– When he is upset he won’t nurse. He doesn’t really like to nurse unless he is hungry, actually.
– I even thought about maybe giving him a bottle of milk at night to see if that helps- maybe he won’t suck in as much air or something and won’t get gas??
– I have been doing bicycle moves with his legs, but I don’t know that it’s doing anything.
– When he is screaming we bounce standing and/or walk. Nothing will calm him down until eventually he’ll either get too tired and stop or take the pacifier and relax.
– He doesn’t have any screaming fits in the middle of the night or mornings… it’s really just any time in the later afternoon/evening. (This is why I don’t think it’s a diet/milk thing?)
– He gets fussy in the morning/afternoon but not screaming fits. Totally different.
Our pediatrician think it’s just a stage of fussiness.
I wish we knew exactly. It is so hard to see him so upset and not be able to fix it right away. I know things will get better eventually and I am holding my breath for that day. It makes my husband and I frustrated and tired. He (my husband) is tired and stressed from work (he’s a teacher… holla out to them) and when he gets home he wants to relax. I am tired from being a mom all day.
Tonight probably isn’t the best day to be blogging about said topic considering the night of screaming it’s been. All nights aren’t this bad, but some are, and so here I am.
On the plus side, I am so thankful that Lucas still takes a great nap every day. I am so so so thankful for that. Joshua is starting to coo and it’s just the cutest thing. When he’s happy, he’s happy. I like happy. And I do love a snuggly sleeping baby on my chest. I really do. I’m thankful that, although fussy, he is healthy and growing.
I have a lot of other things to say but I’ll save it. Now I’m going to tip toe upstairs, very slowly crawl into bed with Joshua in my arms and hope he stays asleep on me for just a few hours….