Before L started Kindergarten, okay like months before he started Kindergarten, I started researching lunch boxes. Yes, researching. Like it was a term paper I had to write in the final semester of college biology. A lunch box – for some reason or another – was very important and exciting to me. And maybe I didn’t have anything else to do with my nerve recking my-first-born-is-going-to-real-school brain so I used such energy on lunch boxes…… anyways.
Let’s just get right into my own personal review and experience with the planetbox lunchbox. A couple things to keep in mind; this is my first year packing a lunch for my child, so I have nothing to compare this to. I have only been using this lunchbox for 4 months. I am not very creative or “cutsie” with the way I prepare his food. So go check out pinterest if you want some creative ideas 😉 My lunches are simple and pretty basic. This planetbox comes with two little separate “bowl” like containers. I am not using because a) I don’t know where to put them or what the point is and mostly b) I didn’t want my kindergartner to lose it at school or have to worry about it.
A couple of details:
You can pick which size you want – there are three options. (mine pictured is the middle size – the rover.)
Then you pick which magnets you want (included in price. No real purpose for these except to look cute and give some extra individualization to them.)
Then you pick which color of carrying case you want.
I know. SO MANY CHOICES.
POSITIVES: What I LOVE:
1. I love all the little compartments. I love that it kindly forces me to choose healthy foods. Even on the lazy days where I am tempted to give him a sandwich and two bags of crackers, this lunchbox practically makes you pack real, fresh food.
2. The different compartments keep everything separated and it looks pretty!
3. Food stays really well in it. It closes pretty tight, so if I can pack lunch the night before and it stays fresh. You can throw the bag upside down and everything still stays in it’s compartments.
4. It is easy to wash – usually I just do it by hand but you can also throw it in the dishwasher. However in the dishwasher it does takes up an awkwardly amount of space on the top rack, so that would be a negative.
5. There are no ziploc bags to worry about or individual tupperware containers and lids to wash. Just one piece!
6. My boy loves it!
NEGATIVES: What I DON’T love:
1. It’s heavy. When you have a full water bottle in the side pocket, an ice pack inside with food – this thing is not light. It’s not a huge deal because he isn’t carrying it far, but if a child were walking to school I could see this being way too heavy.
2. It cost a lot of money. $$$
3. It doesn’t hold a full sandwich. Unless I am doing something wrong, I have to cut the sandwich to fit. This is annoying because I keep thinking how much easier it would be to just make a full sandwich and put it in a ziploc bag. (I think maybe this lunchbox was designed for really really healthy people who don’t eat normal sandwiches??)
4. I’m not sure if it holds enough food? Still deciding on this one, I probably just need to get more creative …
5. Sometimes I want to pack a yogurt or a applesauce container but I can’t.
Will I buy it again, specifically when my next child goes to Kindergarten and needs a lunchbox? Honestly I don’t know. I’m sorry because I know that doesn’t help much! It will probably depend on what stage were in when that time comes and what angle my brain is tilting at. I will re-evaluate; if this planetbox is still in good working shape in two years, I will most likely buy it again because I know I got my money worth!
However, I may as well just use a regular lunchbox and go with the ziploc bag/tupperware route. I’m not sure I can stomach that price for another lunchbox. Sorry 2nd child.
** (Planetbox doesn’t know who I am. They don’t know I’m writing this review. They don’t care. They did not send me any of their products or pay me anything to write this. I just like writing reviews and think they are helpful!)
If you have used this lunchbox, I would LOVE to hear your input on it!!